The dock was built by the Nevill family and partners in 1805 to import copper for their new works and for general trade. It was later used for coal exports and a tippler was built. Because of the family connection it was also known by their name but that was formalised when a new company was formed by the Copperworks in 1913.
The new company, the Nevill’s Dock & Railway Company, took over the dock and industrial railway network.
Following post-war decline the Harbour Trust ceased operating in 1952 and the Nevill’s company immediately closed their dock. It was quickly filled in over the following years.
Its location is marked by the site of AMG Resources Ltd, a de-tinning works, whose postal address is Nevill’s Dock, Llanelli.